Hypertension Can Cause Growth Retardation in Children

Hypertension, which is thought to be an adult problem, is increasingly detected in children today. Pointing out that primary hypertension can develop in childhood without any symptoms, Yeditepe University Hospital Pediatric Nephrology Specialist Prof. Dr. Ruhan Düşünsel emphasized that especially overweight obese children are at high risk for hypertension. Accordingly, she warned that while headache, visual impairment and general symptoms can be observed in children with symptomatic hypertension, secondary hypertension may also lead to growth retardation.

Recent studies show about 3-5 percent of children have hypertension. This problem, which is extremely important for adults, progresses differently in childhood. Pediatric Nephrology Specialist Prof. Dr. Ruhan Dusünsel informs us that about 90 percent of adult hypertension cases have no cause. However, risks such as obesity, smoking, malnutrition (salty, fatty, high calorie), familial predisposition are mentioned. This group of hypertension is called primary hypertension. The other 10 percent of the hypertension cases are called secondary hypertension developed due to another disease. In contrast, 15 percent have primary hypertension, and the remaining 85 have residual hypertension.

You can visit yeditepehealthcare.org for the rest of the news...

Press Reflections: raillynews.com